Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Scheduling Events for My New Book - An Artful Animal Alphabet

An Artful Animal Alphabet is my first book directed mostly to children. Because of the artwork,  it is an adult book as well that might even be fun to display on a coffee table.

I have just begun to schedule events for my new hardcover book. The paintings in the book are ones I created for the April Blog Challenge several years ago. At the time, I had no plans for a book. Then I grew fascinated with the results and decided the mostly small paintings deserved to be seen by more people. Now, I realize that means scheduling events in art galleries as well as in book stores and other shops.

My first art gallery signing is scheduled for Petersburg's Friday for the Arts on September 8 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Ward Gallery for Contemporary Art. This is a beautiful site for any event, so I expect it to be very special for a book signing. I plan to exhibit a few of the little paintings in addition to having my books there. My paintings from the first gallery show I had at the Ward Center are also there, so this will be a very special combination for me.

Some of the paintings in An Artful Animal Alphabet are based on photographs taken by my daughter, Amy Sikes, during trips to Australia and Tazmania. Amy is a true animal-lover who finds most fur creatures special. I chose one of her photos as my reference material for the possum which is a bit of a different animal down under than the American opossum.

Later this month, I have a signing scheduled in Valdosta, Georgia. On November 4, I'll participate in the Book Festival at the James City branch of Williamsburg Regional Library. At all the locations, I plan to have some of my original paintings that inspired the book. I also have a little art project to do with children that will relate to my book.
My paintings at The Ward Center ©Mary Montague Sikes

These are fun books. If you have suggestions for book signing locations, I would love to hear about them.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm really glad you decided to turn it into a book. Those were some amazing paintings you created in a month. Good luck with all the signings!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats, Mary! I remember you doing those paintings.

I wish I could make it to the Nov. 4th event. A bit far and probably too late to participate. I love meeting fellow authors.

Birgit said...

Congrats on the new book and using your animal art. I think it's so nice that your daughter took some of the pictures so one can call your book and family event

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Alex, for the compliment and good thoughts.

Thanks, Diane. It's nice to meet other authors.

Birgit, thank you. Two of the paintings are of animals belonging to our daughters, so you are right!