Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Painting Show for Farrah Brings Life to a Book Signing

Evening of the Dragonfly Book Signing and Art Show
Having a book signing to go with my painting show for Farrah Ferand, the artist heroine of Evening of the Dragonfly, creates lots of possibilities for talking with readers. Book signings are all too often awkward affairs. The art show is fun and came about as an idea for the A to Z Blog Challenge. The paintings helped me, as the author, get to know Farrah much better than I did while writing her story.

The art show for my character makes me wonder about other unique ways to promote books. What is the profession of the hero or heroine? Or what hobby is important to a character to the book?

Thinking outside the box can produce a flurry of ideas for authors who struggle with book signings. Being your character and dressing the part is still one of the most fun things I've seen authors do.
"Looking at Farrah's Art Show" ©Mary Montague Sikes

Thanks to Arts Alive in West Point for the opportunity for Farrah's Art Show which will hang in the Art Center until October 13.




Fractal Art

For the past few weeks, my life has been consumed with art. At the Crossroads Art Center Open House last week, I was delighted to discover an artist showing across from me who is using fractal art in his creations. I have long loved fractals and used many of those images to inspire my elementary school art students. Mike Turner is putting his fractal images on metal which gives them a beautiful shiny look and depth. He also has printed some of his work on fabric, and his sister has created an array of beautiful neckties from the material. What a great idea!
"Lines in the Desert" Encaustic ©Mary Montague Sikes

"Lines in the Desert", my small encaustic painting, was inspired by a petite section of a fractal image. Other pieces of my art work are related to some of the fractals I've seen. 

I'm delighted to have discovered Mike Turner's work. 

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad tying the two together works. And maybe Mike Turner's art will give you even more ideas on how to cross-promote.

Birgit said...

This is a great way to showcase your art and your books-2 creative styles melded together-brilliant!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - wonderful you've been able to bring Farrah to life .. that must be so much fun. Then your mention of other cross-over tie ins ... and it's great to work with other artists at times. Fractal art - that must be amazing to see. I wrote about scarves being created from stone back in March - http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/scarves-from-stones-rock-chips-onto-silk.html

There's so much we can do - if we let our minds expand and open up. Wonderful to have your talents ... congratulations ... cheers Hilary