Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, May 4, 2015

A to Z Challenge Paintings

Paintings Awaiting Finishing Touches
The A to Z Challenge for April is over, and I now have 19 new paintings stacked or hanging in my studio, awaiting finishing touches. It was exciting to compete with myself to get a painting (or portions of several larger pieces) completed each day. Although I managed to paint around the sides of some of the works (all on canvas), I still have many with sides that need to be painted. Those are mostly the watercolors and the mixed water media pieces.

All of the work requires one or more coats of polymer finish. Of course, each piece also will need screw eyes and picture wired attached for hanging.

The show will be unveiled for the first time next Saturday when I have an exhibit for Farrah Ferand (my heroine) and a book signing for Evening of the Dragonfly. The event will be at Gloucester Arts on Main, Gloucester from 1 to 4 p.m.

I gained a few more followers during the Challenge, and I found some interesting people to follow. I also enjoyed the posts of bloggers I already followed. Having a new art show is a major reward.

Thanks to co-hosts: Alex Cavanaugh, Jeremy Hawkins, Nicole Ayers, Stephen Tremp, Heather M. Gardner, AJ, Pam, Matthew MacNish, Zalka Csenge Virág, S. L. Hennessy, C. Lee McKenzie, Joy Campbell, Susan Gourley, Lisa Buie-Collard, and John Holton. Also thanks to Arlee Bird at Tossing it Out who started the Challenge in 2010.

Art Speaks on the Bay Juried Show

"So Many Shells on the Beach", my watercolor painting, is part of the Art Speaks on the Bay Juried Show on view now at Mathews Bay School. The volunteers had a lovely reception last Saturday for the large turnout of visitors.

Art Speaks on the Bay opening reception

"So Many Shells on the Beach" (Top Painting)

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the reception went well. And that's really cool you'll be doing a show with your paintings and book combined!

Birgit said...

Congrats on finishing the A to Z! You have also created some great works of art and you will be showcasing them!! I love that you can combine your book with the art pieces. I also like the picture of you with your painting which is quite striking.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, I'm excited about the show. Hope I can get all the coatings and finishing done by Sat.

Birgit, thank you. I forgot to note that my painting is the one on top, not the one next to me.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Congrats and best of luck for the show! You really aced the challenge in the hardest possible way, kudos!

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Mary,

I love you art and I know your show will be a complete success!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Nilanjana! I am now procrastinating putting the finishing touches on my paintings. Have to get busy!

Thank you, Michael. I am looking forward to seeing the show all put together!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - looking forward to hearing how today's exhibition goes ... it's great being able to combine it with a book signing ...

Good luck .. cheers Hilary

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Hilary. I have another book signing/art show this week in Richmond VA.