Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, April 18, 2014

"P" is for Petrified Forest National Park

Scenics - Jasper Forest Pedestal Logs
"Jasper Forest Pedestal Logs" - National Parks Photo

Years ago, when our children were small, we visited Petrified Forest National Park. The landscape filled with petrified fallen trees was stunning to view. The sight of those multicolored logs fired my passion for trees of all kinds. The petrified wood in the National Parks photo above is much like what we saw and admired in that surreal landscape. How I longed to pick up a chunk of petrified wood from fossils of fallen trees which lived 225 million years ago. Of course, it would be criminal for anyone to disturb the fossil relics preserved in our marvelous National Park.
No wonder we love Arizona with its extensive beauty everywhere. In that scenic state, the Petrified Forest stretches for about 30 miles along the border between Apache and Navaho counties. The park width varies from 12 miles in the North down to about one mile and back to four or five miles in the South. The Petrified Forest National Park is a true treasure. I long to visit it again and this time take hundreds of photographs.

"Arizona Desert" ©Mary Montague Sikes




2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been there! When I was a kid and we lived in Arizona. Cool place.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Monti - I love Petrified Forests .. I saw some residues in Namibia - and they always intrigued me ..

Cheers Hilary