Daddy's Christmas Angel

Monday, June 18, 2012

Taking Things for Granted

Ever think about how quickly life can change? In an instant, everything you've loved and taken for granted can change.

My mother used to tell me, "Never take anything for granted."

With the busy lives most of us lead, that's just about impossible.

Last Monday, we were waiting for a traffic light to change when all of a sudden a loud bang that sounded like an explosion occurred. "What happened?" A pickup truck stopped behind us had suddenly crashed into the liftgate at the back of our minivan.

We were sitting innocently waiting, and the world changed. The driver said his foot slipped off the brake. Because his truck was higher off the pavement, his bumper hit the back of our vehicle instead of our bumper.

It was unexpected to have to take our van into a body shop for repairs. Our plans were changed. Now we have a rental car.

I've been tired (not like me). I've had trouble concentrating. No blog posts written since last Monday before the accident.

Don't take anything for granted. It can all change in a flash.

Any of you had experience with an automobile accident? I would like to hear them.

On a more pleasant note, here are this week's blog sites for authors of The Corner Cafe.

June 18 Morgan Mandel Double M http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
June 20 Shonell Bacon http://chicklitgurrl.blogspot.com
June 21 Alberta Ross http://albertaross.wordpress.com
June 22 Karen Casey Fitzjerrell http://karencaseyfitzjerrell.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Very glad it wasn't worse. On the road is when things can change in an instant, always a scary thought.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Monti, I'm sorry! Glad neither of you were really hurt though.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Karen. Made me realize how awful a high speed collision would be. Very scary.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Alex, thanks. Yes we were fortunate although I still feel a little foggy. Why is that?

Marian Allen said...

I'm so glad you're both okay, Monti! Something like that can really throw you for a loop. Your brain gets shaken out of its routine. You experience life with a new clarity and appreciation. It wears you out!

HUGS!
Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

BillieJohn said...

Oh, Monti...I am so sorry to hear about this accident! Hope you and Olen are fine.

Several years ago, my sister and I were in an auto accident that resulted in the total loss of my beloved Scion...the one that looked like a little old time bread truck. I totally loved that car! We were crashed into from the opposite lane...a drunk driver struck a small car and sent it skidding across the lanes into us. My sister was driving, not wearing her seatbelt. We spun around and around and then turned over onto my side and slid...and slid. It was horrifying. I can still smell the gasoline that spilled from my tank and I was sure at any moment we would burst into flames. And my sister was hurled on top of me with her head mashed into the dash area. From my vantage point, I was convinced her neck must be broken. However, it was not, actually, neither of us were hurt much, but it was such a bad visual that even the emergency people expected fatalities. I can still remember doing that little finger wave at the man who peered into the car and hearing him holler, "We got life!"

And so we did...it was an awful experience and I still miss my cute little car (no offense to THE BEAST which rides me around now!)...but the best thing is that we were whole.

So, Monti, you are so right. You never know what is around the corner!

Billie Johnson
Oak Tree Press