Daddy's Christmas Angel

Thursday, April 7, 2011

"F" - La Fonda - Another Old Hotel

Along the lines of famous and fabulous old hotels, La Fonda in Santa Fe, New Mexico is a memorable choice. For me, Santa Fe is a special place to visit. I went there to see the art in the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum and I found the La Fonda as well.

In 1610, the year Santa Fe was founded, an inn (fonda) was already located there. A fonda has been on that site near the Plaza ever since. The current La Fonda was built in 1923 on the original site and in 1926, the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad which had acquired the property leased it to the famous Fred Harvey Company. It became a prized location for the "Harvey Girls" until 1969. The hotel is worth a visit if only to see some of the art housed there.

The historic old hotel and my original painting of it became part of my Hotels to Remember coffee table book. The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum not far away is also worth a visit. La Fonda was destined to be part of the A to Z Blogfest!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous painting! La Fonda sounds like my kind of place, rich with history. And I'm a huge Georgia O'Keefe fan. Definitely will check it out next time I'm in Santa Fe!

Misha Gerrick said...

Lovely painting!

I want to see Santa Fe one day.

Hey from the challenge!

Daisy Hickman said...

Sounds wonderful. I would love to explore that part of the world one day. And Georgia O'Keefe -- just wonderful. Saw some of her work back in Indianapolis at one of the museums. Profound. Have a good week, Monti. I love dropping by to see what you're up to! --Daisy

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Wonderful painting.

Santa Fe sounds rather romantic.


Mary

baygirl32 said...

what a great painting

Jeff Beesler said...

Thanks for sharing this tidbit of Santa Fe. I've never been there, so I'll gladly settle to live vicariously through someone who's actually been there.

Pleasure to meet you from the A-Z Challenge!