Daddy's Christmas Angel

Friday, January 21, 2011

Tid Bits from Friday - the Demise of Cursive Writing

After my concern earlier this week about the demise of handwritten notes, you can imagine my shock when I heard this morning that a school district is considering dropping cursive writing from its teaching curriculum! Plans are to replace it with extra instruction on computer skills.

Soon we'll be unable to write and heaven help us if something happens to the calculator! This was on one of the news shows this morning. I didn't catch the name of the school division and don't think it really matters where this is happening. But the idea of not teaching cursive writing does matter.

As an art teacher, I always have my students sign their names on their art work when they create it. When these children first learn cursive writing, they are always excited and ask to sign their art in cursive!

Cursive writing is an art. It's a skill that should not be put aside and lost.What do you think?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It is a skill!
Sadly, one I never mastered. The only time I write in cursive is to sign my name.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Actually, Alex, I didn't realize until I read your comment that I print almost everything I write except for my signature!