Daddy's Christmas Angel

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Past Lives


Last night, we watched the first show in the new series, "Past Lives" on Fox TV. Since I've been fascinated by reincarnation for as long as I can remember, I was excited to discover that network television is interested as well.

The first program featured the story of a 14-year-old boy who starts having memories of the traumatic kidnapping and drowning death of an eight-year-old girl. His memories, pieced together with the work of the two paranormal investigators who star in the show, result in the discovery of the girl's four-year-old sister who is now 18. She is reunited with her parents who had no idea she might still be alive.

My fascination with reincarnation inspired my first novel, Hearts Across Forever. I wondered what would happen if my heroine saw a painting of Rose Hall Great House (in Jamaica) and that event began to trigger a series of memories. In my book, Kathryn visits the famous old plantation house where she has a vision of people from her past life in 19th Century Jamaica dancing on the portico. She remembers a life as the star-crossed niece of Annie Palmer, known as the White Witch of Rose Hall.

I look forward to seeing more of the "Past Lives" television dramas. Hopefully, this show will spark renewed interest in my book which is still available on Amazon.

4 comments:

Lise said...

I am a firm believer that what are so frequently referred to as "paranormal phenomena" are merely scientific events for which we currently have no explanation. As cave dwellers threw rocks at the moon but now we understand the astronomic facts; as men worshiped the God of the Sun who drove his chariot across the sky every day though we now understand the solar mechanism. So is the case of reincarnation and other psychic events. The body is comprised of energy. Since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only change form, where does that human energy go upon death? Where do those memories of events, places, people and details - the deja vu - come from? I do believe in reincarnation. I don't know if all people are reincarnated, only some. I don't know why everyone doesn't remain in a ghostly form. Just because I can't explain things, doesn't mean I don't believe them! I don't understand physics, but I know how it feels if an apple falls on my head.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

I've never done any serious investigation of the religions/philosophies that have reincarnation as a core belief therefore I don't have an adequate understanding of reincarnation (i.e. recycling of souls) to believe or not believe in it. I believe each soul is unique and when we die takes its rightful place in that larger soul known as God. I do believe in the Jungian concept of race memory which could be loosely seen as reincarnation of sorts (i.e. information/experience passed on/relived).

I like the title of your book and am glad I can get it.

Anna T.S.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Dr. Ian Stevenson, University of Virginia, has done some fascinating studies of young children who have memories of past lives. He was able to investigate some of the stories (mostly from India), and he found actual links between the two lives. Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation was published years ago. There have been other books since that time. Amazing and provocative stuff!

susan said...

This is an article to give much thought to. It grabbed my interest at once. Thanks for sharing this. susan Leech